Bishop Pierre Van De Nguyen
Bishop's House 6 Tran Hung Dao St, Thai Binh city, Vietnam
84 36 3831361, 84 0913 347 121
Fax :84 36 3836 580
Bishop Pierre Nguyen Van De was born on Jan. 15, 1946, in Quang Tri province. After he became a Salesian in 1965, he studied philosophy in Hong Kong until 1968 and studied theology at the Pius X Pontifical Institute in Da Lat from 1970-1974. He was ordained a priest on Dec. 17, 1973.
He taught at a novitiate and served as a parish priest, Salesian Don Bosco provincial superior and rector of the Salesian theological institute from 1976-2000. Then he taught theology and social teaching of the Catholic Church and served as a spiritual director at Saint Joseph Major Seminary in Ha Noi till 2005. He was named auxiliary bishop of the northern diocese of Bui Chu by Pope Benedict XVI on Nov. 29, 2005. His episcopal ordination took place on Jan. 18, 2006 at Bui Chu Cathedral.
He was appointed as bishop of the neighboring Diocese of Thai Binh on July 25, 2009. He succeeded Bishop Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Sang who retired.
Bishop De now serves as head of the Episcopal Commission for Religious of the Vietnam Bishops' Conference. He speaks - except his native language - English, French and Latin.
- Bishop Nguyen Francis Xavier Van Sang (1990-2009)
- Apostolic Administrator Cardinal Joseph Marie Trinh Van Can (1989-1990)
- Bishop Joseph Dinh Binh (1979-1989)
- Bishop Dominic Dinh Duc Tru (1954-1982)
- Spanish Dominican Bishop Santos Ubierna Ninh (1942-1954)
- Spanish Dominican Bishop Jean Casado Thuan (1936-1942)