Diocese of Amravati
  • share this post
  • resize textlarger | smaller

The diocesan territory of 46,447 square kilometers comprises the civil districts of Amravati, Akola, Buldana, Washim and Yavatmal in Maharashtra state, an area called the Vidarbha region.

Amravati is the biggest city in the diocese. Akola, Buldana are the other major towns.


9,948,366 total, of which Marathas form the major ethnic group.


Marathi, Korku, Urdu, English and Hindi are the main languages used.


The Diocese of Amravati, created on May 8, 1955, was formerly part of the Archdiocese of Nagpur. In 1977, some of its territory was taken for the creation of Aurangabad Diocese. 

Father Joseph Albert Rosario, MSFS was appointed the first Bishop of Amravati on the day the diocese was created. Upon Bishop Rosario's retirement on April 1, 1995, Father Edwin Colaço was appointed the second Bishop of Amravati.

Bishop Edwin Colaço was transferred to the Aurangabad, in October 2006, and Pope Benedict XVI appointed Father Lourdes Daniel, then Vicar General of the Diocese of Pune, as the third Bishop of Amravati on June 8, 2007. Bishop Daniel was transferred to Nashik Diocese on Nov. 11, 2010.


Cities are managed by corporations. Villages and small towns are administered by panchayat and municipalities, respectively. These local bodies are elected.


The diocesan area is well connected by roads and railways. The nearest airport is in Aurangabad city.


Annual per capita income is 10,800 (US$233 as of November 2009).


Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities. The diocese is well covered by local cable TV networks.


77.47 percent literacy

Indian Christians slam RSS for remarks on Church-Maoist nexus

Indian Christians slam RSS for remarks on Church-Maoist nexus Chhattisgarh Christian Forum slams Indresh Kumar’s statement that Maoists never targeted Chruches, priests and nuns as frivolous and in bad taste.