The diocese stretches overs a land area of 1793.94 square kilometers and covers the whole of Kanyakumari district and the Taluk of Shenkottai in Tiruneveli District. A taluk is an administrative unit. Nagercoil is the biggest town in the diocese. Marthondam, Kulithurai and Thuckalay are also important towns in the diocesan area.
The total population as of 2001 was 1,865,972. Tamils and Malayalees form the major ethnic groups. Tamil, Malayalam and English are the languages used in the diocesan territory.
On Nov. 11, 1996, through the papal bull Apud Indorum, Pope John Paul II erected the Diocese of Thuckalay and appointed Mar George Alencherry as its first bishop. Thus the long cherished aspiration of the faithful of the Kanyakumari Mission and the Archdiocese of Changanacherry was fulfilled.
The Diocese of Thuckalay comprises the district of Kanyakumari and Taluk of Shenkottai of Tirunelveli District. The language used for liturgy here is Tamil.
Towns are governed by municipalities, whereas villages and small towns are administered by local bodies called panchayats. Members of the local bodies are elected by adult suffrage.
The diocesan area is well connected by roads and railways. The nearest airport is in Thiruvanathapuram, the capital city of neighboring Kerala state.
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the diocesan area. The diocese is well connected by local cable TV networks.
The literacy rate here is 81.25 percent.