In a land area of 24,702 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers the civil districts of Warangal and Karimnagar. Warangal is the biggest town in the diocese. Karimnagar is other important town in the diocese.
The total population in the diocesan territory is 6,737,826 as of census 2001. Telegus are the major ethnic groups.
Telegu, Oriya, Hindi, English are the languages used in the diocese.
The Diocese of Warangal was detached from the ecclesiastical territory of Hyderabad and was created by the Apostolic Constitution of Pius XII on Dec. 22, 1952. Bishop Alphonsus Beretta, PIME, was appointed the First Bishop of Warangal, transferring him from the See of Hyderabad. It comprised then of the civil districts of Warangal, Nalgonda, Khammam and Karimnagar. In 1977 the civil district of Nalgonda was separated and formed into a new Diocese of Nalgonda. In December 1985 Bishop A. Beretta retired. Msgr. K. Joseph was the Administrator in 1986 and Bishop Thumma Bala was appointed as the second Bishop in March 1987. He hails from the same Diocese of Warangal. In 1988 the civil district of Khammam has been separated and formed into a new Diocese of Khammam. Now the Diocese is left with the civil districts of Warangal and Karimnagar.
The towns are managed by municipalities. The villages and small towns are administered by elected local bodies called Panchayats.
The diocesan area is well connected in terms of transport infrastructure by roads and railways. The nearest airport is in Hyderabad city.
India Rupees 16,707 (USD361 as of January 2001) is the per capita income in the diocese territory. Agriculture is main occupation in the diocese. Cotton, Chilli, commercial crops, paddy are widely grown in the diocesan area.
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the diocesan area. The diocese is well connected by local cable TV networks.
56 percent is the literacy rate in the diocesan territory.