In a land area of 2,334 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers the central towns of the Province of Quezon, Philippines. The diocese was created on March 28, 1950 and erected on Sept. 8, 1950.
In Lucena city, the population is 236,390 people in 45,902 households according to the census 2007. Lucena is host to most of the branches of governmental agencies, businesses, banks and service facilities in the Southern Tagalog region.
Filipino and English language are in use.
The faith first came to the Diocese in the latter part of the 16th century.
The Franciscans were the first missionaries who established the first center of faith in the parish of Tayabas, Quezon.
From Aug. 14, 1595, the Provinces of Quezon and Marinduque, which were not yet separate dioceses, formed part of the Archdiocese of Caceres. On April 10, 1910, they were transferred to the Diocese of Lipa. The annexation to the Diocese of Lipa lasted up to Aug. 12, 1950.
The Diocese of Lucena was canonically erected on Sept. 8, 1950 and was made suffragan of the Archdiocese of Manila. With the creation of the Diocese of Lipa into an Archdiocese, the Diocese of Lucena was made suffragan of Lipa. The late Rufino Cardinal Santos governed the Diocese as Apostolic Administrator from September 1950 to January 1951. From Jan. 22, 1951, Bishop Alfredo Ma. Obviar, D.D. (1889-1978) governed the Diocese until his retirement on Oct. 18, 1976. Bishop Jose T. Sanchez, D.D. (now Cardinal), then Coadjutor Bishop with the right of succession, formally took possession of the Diocese on Oct. 19, 1976.
In 1978, the whole province of Marinduque was created a separate diocese, now the Diocese of Boac.
With the appointment of Bishop Jose T. Sanchez, D.D. as the Archbishop of Nueva Segovia (Vigan, Ilocos Sur), Bishop Ruben T. Profugo, D.D., then Auxiliary Bishop of Lucena, was elected Vicar Capitular of the Diocese. On May 15, 1982, the Bishop Ruben T. Profugo, D.D. was appointed by the Holy Father as the new Bishop of the Diocese of Lucena. Bishop Profugo formally took possession of the Diocese as its third residential Bishop on July 13, 1982.
In 1984, the Diocese of Gumaca, comprising the eastern part of Quezon province, was created.
On May 4, 2002, Pope John Paul II appointed Bishop Emilio Z. Marquez, D.D., then Bishop of Gumaca, as Coadjutor Bishop (with the right of succession) of Lucena and Apostolic Administrator of Gumaca. Bishop Marquez formally took possession of the Diocese as its fourth residential Bishop on Nov. 4, 2003.
Lucena City is located between two rivers, Dumacaa River on the east and Iyam River on the west. Seven other rivers and six creeks serve as natural drainage for the city. Its port on the coast along Tayabas Bay is home to several boat and ferry lines operating and serving the sea lanes between Lucena and the different points in the region and as far as the Visayas.