Taytay parish traces faith journey in book form
Titled “Lakbay-Pananampalataya” (Journey of Faith), the book was published in time before for the end of the celebration of the Year of Faith.
The parish of St. John the Baptist in Taytay of Rizal province launched a history book tracing the local Church’s journey of faith, beginning with the Spanish colonial era.
Titled “Lakbay-Pananampalataya” (Journey of Faith), the book was published in time before for the end of the celebration of the Year of Faith. It narrates the evangelizing mission of the Catholic Church that reached the country and the locality of Taytay in particular.
Earliest known as Visita Sta Ana de Sapa, the parish traces its beginning in 1579, when it was first established by Franciscan missionaries near the lake of Laguna where a church was built from light materials.
The succeeding Jesuit missionaries built the parish a stone-church in 1591 which was the first stone-church outside Manila. It can be told that the parish in Taytay was “taken from the ribs” of St. John the Baptist Parish in Quiapo. Accounts would also reveal that the parish and its church in Taytay were established even ahead of Antipolo, now the seat of the Diocese.
The parish has links to Saint Pedro Calungsod who was trained in Taytay for a couple of years by Blessed Fray Diego Luis de Sanvitores, a Jesuit who served as parish priest in Taytay in 1666-1668 before they were both martyred in their Catholic mission in Isla Marianas (Guam) in 1672.
Other religious orders that also went on mission in Taytay were the Augustinians, Dominicans, Recollects and Seculars. Jesuits served the longest with 177 years.
The book is “dedicated to the Priest and laity missionaries who brought the Catholic faith in Taytay.”
Source: CBCP News